Saturday, May 11, 2013

Vintage View Sunday: Hotel Silver

Did you ever hear your Mom say, "I'm not running a hotel/restaurant here...?"
I think I've said it a few times myself.
Being a mom can sometimes seem like custom hotel and restaurant service with
all the laundry and cooking that is required to run a home and
make it comfortable for everyone.  If you're a mom, I hope your lovely ones
have celebrated you with a day off from all the chores--
at least from the cooking.  And perhaps they've taken you for a fine meal at a hotel.

To kick off this Vintage View Sunday, I am sharing a vignette in my kitchen that 
I just put together this week with a few pieces from my hotel silver collection.


Hotel silver is heavily plated silver that was made for use in fine hotels.  
Made to withstand repeated washing and rough use, its heavy chunkiness and 
clean lines really appeal to my husband. You can learn more about hotel silver on
this video from Martha Stewart.

The creamer was made by International Silver Company for a Hilton Hotel:






















                  The open sugar bowl was made by the Canadian subsidiary of Wm Rogers Silver Company
and was from the King Edward Hotel in Toronto.


The salt and pepper cruet set was made by International Silver Co. for
the Margaret Baylor Inn.  (I'd love to know where that was...)


My vintage view gives me a lot of pleasure on this Mother's Day Sunday:


This post is written in honor of my mother, Anita, who taught me to appreciate antiques from the time I was six. She is home with the Lord.  And it is also written to honor my other mother, Katie, who also is my husband's mother. She is 90, and has the best outlook on life of anyone I've ever known.
My life has been enriched by the love and care of these two dedicated mothers.

I'm linking up with
Ivy and Elephants
  You're Gonna Love It!
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Feathered Nest Fridays

And now, on  to the Vintage View Sunday Party with this week's features! Please feel free to grab my button and display it on your blog if you've been featured.

Going along with the kitchen theme, I love Debbie's vintage kitchen tools and accessories
in bright happy red.  Go visit her at Debblie Dabble and see how she has a knack for
pulling together so many interesting pieces!


You certainly see a grandmother's love in this precious baby quilt shared by Jann at
A Daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen. Visit her blog for a virtual hug from a very sweet lady!

And Christina at PennyWise shared a wonderful vintage photo of children dancing around a Maypole in 1909 Ireland along with a very interesting history of May Day and
 a wonderful tea to celebrate May Day or Mother's Day or any day!

Kitchens and food and blankets and pretty things...
All part of a mother's care for her brood.

Wishing you a day that's very lovely from start to finish.

Vintage View Link Party #3
Feel free to link any vintage post, old or new.  Please become a follower of my blog and
put a link back to my blog on your blog.  I look forward to seeing your vintage view!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your hotel silver collection is really beautiful. I don't believe I have ever seen anything like that while out "junkin", as we call it, but I'll be looking for it now! Thanks for hosting the party!
-Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Laura,
THANKS so much for the feature!! I have my new post up and included a shout out to you and your new party so i hope it will help get your party off the ground!!

LOVE your Hotel Silver and that scale!! Now you know it would look good in my Kitchen too!!

LOL!!

Thanks so much for hosting!!!

Hugs,
Deb

Loretta Castorini said...

Love your hotel silver! I'm from Toronto, and The King Eddy is quite the posh hotel! I love that sugar bowl!

Laura Turner said...

Thanks for that info, Loretta! I'm glad to know it's still around. I must "Google" it once I have time today.

Laura

Bente said...

Hi Laura. Thank you for the information, but I can`t find anything wrong. Could you try again to see if it works now?

Beautiful photos you show us here.
Have a great week

Hugs

Christina Paul said...

Thanks so much for hosting- I'm delighted for featuring my May Day Post!
Happy May!
l

Lynn Stevens said...

I used to have a few pieces. I think I sold them at a yard sale years ago. Oh Dear!!!!!
Beautiful vignette Laura. I had no idea you were doing a linky party. Sometimes I feel like I'm living under a rock. sheesh...
Hugs Lynn

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Laura, your silver is amazing! I didn't realize it was actually called hotel silver. Love your beautiful blossoms and I have a weakness for old scales. Thanks again for featuring me. So happy to be included with the other two sweet ladies!
hugs,
Jann
p.s. grabbing your button

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Laura, I decided to share a second post. Saydee and I had fun playing in the garden yesterday. Hope that's o.k.
hugs,
Jann

Tea in the Library said...

The old silver looks amazing. Followed Mrs. Olsen on over. Always nice to find a great blog. Thank you for hosting.

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

I have some old silvers but I havent got around to polishing them up yet so they are hidden in a bag in storage. I must get them out and put them on display :) Your Mum sounds like a very special lady x

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love your gorgeous hotel silver, and the vignette you put together is perfection! Thanks so much for sharing, we have featured it this week at Ivy and Elephants. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button.
Hugs,
Patti

historypak said...

This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. Verve Bedford