Sunday, October 6, 2013

Paperback Book Pumpkin and Inspired Sunday Blog Party!

Happy Sunday! The winds that felled a tree onto my car have died down, I have almost recovered from a mild bout of the flu, and dear son has moved out! Life is looking pretty good, as does my paperback book pumpkin! Have you seen these on Pinterest?  I fell in love with them about a week ago, and since the only thing I felt like doing yesterday was cutting things (paper with scissors), I found two old paperbacks that were headed to Goodwill and tried my hand at making a pumpkin. Here's the tutorial, and here's the finished product:


I think I'm kinda in love with it. Here's another view:

And another:


Inspired Sunday

I really enjoyed all the link ups this week and am so glad that you keep coming back even though this is a teeny weeny blog party.  I just don't have enough time to promote and build it at this point, but I am so happy that you keep joining me.  Perhaps one day I will really work on it, but for now, my hope is that we can really get to know each other better and possibly meet a few kindred spirits. 

Besides Pinterest, several of your clever ideas inspired me this week.

One was the very brilliant way that Debby Ray of My Favorite Things made her own dried hydrangeas for her Fall decor. This idea was genius! You just need cheap hydrangeas, spray paint, and a fire stick-- but just be careful playing with fire!  lol!  Don't these look fantastic?


Another brilliant idea was Penny's use of Scotch tape to keep her roses in place.  Like her, I love flowers in my kitchen but sometimes can't get them to look nice in a vase without taking tedious measures like running out to purchase Oasis foam or using pounds of glass pebbles that end up getting nasty from the rotting stems and leaves.  She used the Scotch tape to make a grid for the flowers to fit into--kinda like the way an old glass flower frog worked.  Thanks for this easy peasy and inexpensive tip, Penny! Visit her at Penny's Vintage Home to get the full scoop. I'll warn you, you might leave her blog  with kitchen envy!


Now let's see what you're up to this week!  If you join the party, I would like for you to follow me. (I will also follow you.) In addition, please be sure to link back to my blog from your blog.  Thank you!
Laura

Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Tweak it Tuesdays at Cozy Little House
Wow Us Wednesdays
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Creative Things Thursday @ The Vintage Farmhouse 
Blog Stalking Thursday @ The Crafty Blog Stalker

27 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Laura,
So sorry about your car! We have had temps. here in the 80's and i have the air conditioning on!! It is usually about 15 degrees colder this time of year....
Thanks so much for visiting and for hosting!!

Hugs,
Deb

Debby Ray said...

Laura, thank you so much for featuring my hydrangeas! I am pleasantly surprised and would like to tell you that you are such a sweet hostess! I greatly appreciate your encouragement :)

Blessings,
Debby

Debby Ray said...

I was so excited about the feature that I forgot to tell you how adorable this pumpkin is! I have seen these before but your is the cutest one I've seen...I love the way you have it displayed!

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Laura, thank you so much for including my tip for flower arranging in your features this week! Love to link up here every week...thanks for hosting! Hugs, Penny

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Laura, I love your book pumpkin and it looks wonderful next to your carnival glass! Happy to be partying again this week. Love those Hydrangeas!
hugs,
Jann

Anonymous said...

Cute pumpkin! I really like the leaves and flowers on top of the pumpkin! Thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the link party. I can't wait to see the tut on the book pumpkin! It would be perfect for what I have planned for my mantel this year. I'm a new follower so I can be sure not to miss it!

hugs--
Roberta
Queen Bee Paper Crafts
My Blog Candy

Anonymous said...

Your book looks great, and so does your whole vignette. Nice job. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

The Charm of Home said...

That pumpkin is adorable! Thanks for hosting!
Sherry

Aimee at Refresh-Renew... said...

LOVE!! Laura! it's gorgeous!

Diane said...

Cute pumpkin!! I have seen them previously, but I love the way that you decorated yours. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

I was checking out the cute book pumpkin which is gorgeous and it led me to your link party so I had to link up. Thanks!
Lisa
www.lifeawayfromtheofficechair.blogspot.com

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Thank you so much for hosting. I love your book pumpkin!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi, I love your book pumpkin that you made. It is so pretty and creative of you. I saw it on kathe with an e.
Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

Lulu said...

I love the paperback pumpkin and am going to look for instructions right now.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your pumpkin, Laura! I've been seeing these, too, and have thought about doing one. I'm just afraid mine would come out more of an egg shape than a pumpkin! : )

Thanks for linking up to The Creative Home & Garden hop.

One More Time Events said...

This is Beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing at One More Time Events!!!

Jennelise said...

How gorgeous! It looks so perfect! I don't know how you made it so symmetrical :) Beautiful creation!
Jennelise

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi laura,
I love your pumpkin too. That is so cute and love the way you have it embellished, it looks grand!
this is my first time to visit you and I decided to join your party as well, so thanks for hosting, and thanks for sharing your pretty pumpkin. Very neat!
blessings, Nellie

foreverdecorating said...

Love the paper book page pumpkin. I plan on making one now!

Tea in the Library said...

Loved the hydrangeas too! Your paper pumpkin came out great. I bought a book at the dollar store to make up - ended up reading it.

Tea in the Library said...

Did I say thanks for hosting?! Thank you! Delightful posts as always. Hope your son and your car are well. Angels to you!

One More Time Events said...

Hi Laura,

Just stopping to thank you so much for sharing your beautiful paperback book pumpkins and let you know you have been featured at Feature Me Friday at One More Time Events...Hope you have a wonderful weekend...Xo http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/10/fall-ribbon-pumpkin-and-painted-sears.html

Merissa Revestir said...

Wow, the paperback book pumpkin turned out amazing! Love it!!!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your car! Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous pumpkin at A Bouquet of Talent this week. Stopping by to let you know that I featured it at Pick of the Bunch today! New follower of your great blog, too!

I will stop back by and link up to your party, too! Have a wonderful weekend. :)
Hugs
Kathy

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Laura, your paperback pumpkin is fantastic! Love it! You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. The party will go live at 8am CDT on Monday. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Laura, your pumpkin is one of the prettiest I've seen. Love the flowers on top! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
hugs,
Jann